Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Space Kimchi!

Thanks to trusty uberblog BoingBoing, I now know that, should I ever find myself suddenly in orbit around the earth, I would not be without space-ready kimchi.

Of course, now that kimchi is safe to eat in orbit, Nana wonders if kimchi that's safe to eat on earth can be far behind. (I keed!)

N.B.: If you're not familiar with kimchi, it's cabbage, buried in a pot filled with vinegar and left to ferment. When it's unearthed, it's slathered in hot sauce.

In other news, South Korea's first astronaut goes into space on April 8!

1 comment:

Mark Lee said...

Koreans love their kimchi: this is one stereotype about Koreans that is so true that it becomes simply a statement of fact.

Korean students studying overseas often get together and talk about the months they endured in Rhode Island/Wisconsin/Tennessee/other random places in the US without a supply of Korean food as if they were swapping war stories. "Three months without kimchi...I don't know how I survived!"

And they always share the similar reaction when they get their first bite of the stuff after a long dry spell. It's almost a religious experience. Once the taste hits the lips, they get a little bit of their homeland back.