Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Trip to the Korean Dentist: Four Wisdom Teeth Enter, Three Wisdom Teeth Leave!

I dragged Justin downtown yesterday for a tooth cleaning and dental overhaul at a Korean dentist recommended to us by our coworker Gina. Dental care in Korea is very affordable, which is good because we don't have dental insurance. And fortunately, this dentist speaks perfect English.

Weird fact #1 about Korean dentistry: when you get your teeth cleaned, they put this little cloth over your face with the same cut-out shape you find on a doorknob hangar to let your mouth and nose peek out. Is it for privacy? I've always felt kind of awkward at the dentist trying to figure out where to look while the hygienist is doing my cleaning (I tend to obsessively analyze how well-groomed their eyebrows are), so having your eyes covered takes care of that question. It might also be to help them with work: when your face is under cloth, they can brace their hands against it and get better pressure on your teeth. A double-edged sword: both Justin and I commented afterwards that the cleaning felt rougher than US-style.

The dentist was terrific, though. I've never had my wisdom teeth out, and one of them came up in my back left. There's really not room for it, and it's been causing me some pain, so the dentist suggested I just have it out. I expected that. What I didn't expect was him saying we could do it then, and not make a later appointment. So I said yes, because I'm afraid of shots (I have had cavities filled without Novocain to avoid the shot) and figured I'd never get myself back down.

And it was so easy! I barely felt the shots, the tooth came right out, and I got my painkillers/antibiotics from the pharmacy downstairs. I spent the rest of the evening wondering when the Novocain would wear off, and then realizing that it already had. Worst moment of the whole thing: they have TV sets over the chairs, and somebody decided that the Anglophone would clearly choose to watch Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion movie. That hurt far more than the tooth extraction.

Weird fact #2: I asked him on the way out if I could keep my tooth, and he said yes, but it was illegal. I told him never mind, but ??? Why would it be illegal for me to keep my own tooth? If I'd left the dentist with the tooth in my head, that would be okay, but not if I left with it in my hand? Perhaps there is some sort of black-market trade in whitey teeth. If so, I wonder what it cures? And I'll never know, because I have so many that I won't catch it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you didn't have time to dread it or you may have blubbered like a baby and screamed your head off or something.

Did you get any happy gas at least?

Love you!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Can you please provide the name and location of the dentist? I live in the Seoul 'burbs and I'm looking for an English speaking dentist who can extract an impacted wisdom tooth. Thanks!

Nana said...

I've got the business card back at the apartment and I'll look it up this evening. and post it.

He really was terrific (I went for a filling the following week and it was equally painless and easy).

Nana said...

Okay, so the business card is in Korean. Here goes.

Call 2201-0568. The clinic is located near Gangbyeon subway station (it's totally walkable). If you take a taxi, you can ask them to take you to the Outback - it's on the second floor of that building, or one right next to it.

The dentist speaks fluent English but the receptionists don't, so you'll need a Korean speaker to make the appointment. They can probably get you better directions than mine, anyway. If you don't know anybody, you can have them do it for you at the Itaewon Hannam Global Village Center (http://global.seoul.go.kr/village/itaewon/center/?Language=en). Tell Paul Hussey that Nana and Justin sent you :) We go way back.

Oh, there may be two dentists - I'm not sure. If so, just ask for the English speaking one.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the details! I discovered your blog by googling "korean dentist." I've since read a few postings and will definitely be back to read more.

Me said...

How much was the whole visit? I just moved to Seoul and have to go to the dentist and will probably have to have my wisdom teeth removed.

Nana said...

I'm trying to remember. I know it sounded ridiculously low to me - perhaps as low as 20,000 won? It might have been as high as 50, but I think that included the cleaning. I went back later in the week for a filling, and it was around 100,000 won. But as I described, I was not "put under" for the procedure - if you had all the teeth out at once and had to be anesthetized, it would certainly be more expensive.

Dr. Jeon said...

Hello, Nana. I hope you remember me. Somebody visited my office through your blog. I asked her how she knew my office and she told me about this blog. Thank you for your recommendation. I hope your teeth still fine. Bye~
About weird Fact #2.
In Korean law of health, it's illegal to give the tooth to the patient without any formal paperwork.

Nana said...

Dr. Jeon - thank you for stopping by! I hope you can tell from the blog that I had a great experience at your clinic. My teeth are still doing great. Thanks for answering my question! I did wonder about that.

Hanso said...

Putting a cloth on your face is to protect your facial area from popping materials from your mouth. Without it, you may feel disgusted at your own saliva mixed with your broken tooth stones.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I currently live in Canada and am planning on going to Korea for a vacation/wisdom teeth removal this coming December (weird combination, I know!). Would you happen to know if your dentist does oral surgery as well? One of my bottom teeth is growing at a 45 degree angle and requires surgery to remove it.
If you could help me out that would be great. Thank you very much for your time!

Anonymous said...

Your information is so helpful, thank you so much. I live in Pyeongtaek though. I'm wondering if Dr. Jeon has a website? Or maybe he can recommend me an English speaking dentist here I can meet in Pyeongtaek? Big big thanks ^^

Lisa

Anonymous said...

That's cool you had a good experience. I was recommended MEI as a good English speaking dentist in Seoul as was pretty happy.

Unknown said...

Hi Dr. Jeon,

I am coming back to Korea in about one month. I need to get my wisdom teeth surgically removed as they have not cut through the gums yet so they can't be pulled. Do you also do this surgery or can you show me to someone who does?

Thanks!

Richard C. Lambert said...

I dragged Justin downtown yesterday for a tooth cleaning and dental overhaul at a Korean dentist recommended to us by our coworker Gina. Dental care in Korea is very affordable root canal