Sunday, October 21, 2007

OMGHOLYCRAP Part II, or the continuing adventures of my name in romance novels

You may remember that about six weeks ago, I posted about Carla Kelly, one of my favorite romance novelists, deciding she liked my name and using it in a book. Well, today, I got an e-mail from her asking for formal permission to use my full name (duh!). In the event that I declined to give permission, she was willing to change the character's name to Nana Marlowe. Horrors!

She also gave me a bit of information on the character as well as the first chapter of the book.
According to Ms. Kelly, "Nana is a delightful character" - how could she be anything but? - "and she gets an excellent man, a post captain in the royal navy named Oliver Worthy." In fact, she says, she had so much fun with the whole thing that she's hoping to do a trilogy around the Worthy family, so I may even reappear in the future! This has to be the first time ever that I've hoped for a gratuitous cameo by the protagonists of previous novels.

I did enjoy the first chapter, although I won't distribute it because that's probably not appropriate. You'll all appreciate the fact that Nana spends most of the first chapter looking for food. The neatest thing by far, though, is that Nana is her character's nickname, too, and her real name just happens to be Eleanor. Eleanor, for those of you who don't know, was the name of my maternal grandmother, a wonderful, brilliant woman who died just a couple of years ago. I did not tell Ms. Kelly this, although I did write back to let her know. It is just a lovely coincidence.

Now I need everybody to send positive vibes to Carla Kelly's editors: Buy this book! Love this book! Pay Carla Kelly all the money in the world for this book! Don't change the names of any characters in this book!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is MAYBE the funniest post I've ever read... and only from you Nana. I am glad things are going well on the other side of the world, and I can't wait to read/hear more! Do tell!

Please give my BEST to your Mother (and sister and brother), but mainly your Mom (sorry Jackie and Jim -- your mom's not on facebook so I can't wish her well myself).

Take care!!!

Katy T. :)

Bearess said...

Cool! I know Grandma would be thrilled at this most recent development. I can see her now!

Hopefully, any good vibes that we send will be more immediately effectual than the vibes re: the movers! :)

Leslie said...

"I did enjoy the first chapter, although I won't distribute it because that's probably not appropriate."

How bribable are you? I've gotten very good at paying bribes...

Anonymous said...

I hate you so much, you and your weird and interesting name. If she doesn't have a sister named Jackie (or at least a hamster or something), I ain't reading it. (pouts)

---guess who