Sunday, August 26, 2007

OMGHOLYCRAP

Okay, so this has nothing to do with teaching in Korea, but I am excited beyond all reckoning by this and I just had to share.

I am a huge fan of a romance novelist named Carla Kelly, who also happens to hold a master's in military history. Once upon a time, she posted on a message board about a journal article she'd written on sanitation in frontier military forts, and me being me, I told her I'd love to read it. We e-mailed, she sent me a copy of the article, I told her I really enjoyed it, and at some point during the exchange, she told me she liked my name and could she use it in a romance novel sometime? Well, um, let me think! I told her absolutely, and then kind of forgot about it as work ate my life.

Can you tell where this is going?

Yes. Today on the same message board where I first bumped into her, I saw the following post by Ms. Kelly herself:

In the novel I'm currently working on (due to the publisher Dec. 15), my heroine is named Nana Massie, after a reader. This novel takes place during the bad bad days of the blockade of England in 1808-1809, and is named Worthy.

And my head exploded.

Can you believe it?!!!! I am not only going to be a romance novel heroine, but I'm going to be a heroine for one of my absolutely favorite authors of all time!!!!

Of course, I'm bracing myself for the moment when the publisher says, "That name is a disaster... can't you go with something like Louise?" But come on. This is still the awesomest thing to happen to me, well, ever. Or at least since I married Justin :) (Insert "awww" here).

God bless the Internet!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY HEAD EXPLODED TOO!

Jackie

Iceman said...

Hey guys it's Colin. I just subscribed to your blog and let me just say that from my current vantage point (shushing people as a library assistant...on a Steelers Sunday no less) it looks like though you're working hard, you're really getting into some awesome stuff. I look forward to your updates, keep em comin!

blogerinblog said...

Omg, that's awesome Nana. I'm even tempted to go BUY the book and read it! I know you're impressed. Haha.

micha said...

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!

I think your name is AWESOME and that is clearly the most amazing thing, ever. I mean, I know being happily married and teaching and living in a foreign country is all, well, cool... but OMG!!!

My head totally exploded. You definitely just became the coolest person I know.

Also, the "Pocari Sweat" post made me laugh hysterically.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Won't it be fun to read about yourself doing dirty things in 19th century England?

Leslie said...

My head totally exploded too. That is SO far beyond amazing, esp. because it's Carla Kelly!!!!

Also, thanks to both of you for the birthday wishes on my blog! :)

Bearess said...

COOL! Someone in our family is going to be honest-to-goodness FAMOUS!!! (Infamy appears to spread like a virus, but FAME had been too long in coming.)