Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Dis and Indiscretions

Just noticed this morning that Justin and I were riding the very-crowded bus into work merrily discussing our digestive systems' reactions to Korean food, secure in the knowledge that although the average Korean has at least a few useful words of English, digestive slang tends not to be among them. This is probably a habit we should get out of before coming home for Christmas.

My fifth graders made construction paper totem poles yesterday. Some of them really took to it, to the point of asking to take them home to have extra coloring time, and some of them drew a few squiggles in the vague shape of eyes and called it a day. Still, I'm excited to have at least some student work up on the bulletin board for Parent's Night tomorrow.

I give my first test tomorrow, 8th grade geography. I am quite nervous, although probably not as nervous as the kids! How many questions do I ask? How do I write them as language-neutral as possible? On the homework, for instance, even my best English 8s struggled with the section that said "The name of the lines running east-west across the map are called..." and yet nearly aced the section where they had to actually use latitude and longitude to plot on a map. No problem with the concept, then, but problem with the questions. And I absolutely do not want to give a test that so badly mismeasures what people know.

Dilemmas, dilemmas...

No comments: